Back to basics tutoring that will give your child the understanding, confidence & skills they need to get better results.
Is your child struggling with what seems to be simple Maths?
Have they lost their confidence with Maths?
Struggling with Maths doesn’t mean that your child won’t ever be good at it. It just means that they haven’t learnt certain concepts and skills along the way.
By focusing on and practicing these missing skills and concepts they can build a solid foundation that will give them the confidence to try harder Maths without the fear of getting the wrong answer.
Tutoring That Works
In the time I’ve been tutoring students who were struggling with Maths I discovered a simple process for helping them to succeed in Maths.
Some of them had no idea how to do Maths and had very low self esteem, and yet were able to turn their Maths around just by getting started on basic Maths and building from there.
Most students made progress in their very first lesson. Others eventually managed to turn their Maths around. All of them improved their results at school.
Some of them went on to win the VCE prize at their school and many of them got back to me and let me know that Maths ended up being their best subject.
If your child is struggling with Maths and you’ve tried things that haven’t worked then there is hope for you. Getting back to basics does work and can work for your child too.
Gaps in their understanding
If your child has a history of struggling with Maths or is starting to struggle, then it’s more than likely they have gaps in their understanding of the basics. I’ve found this to be the case with nearly all of the Year 3 to 10 students who’ve come to me for tutoring.
They were struggling with their school Maths and as they learnt or re-learnt the basics, things started to improve at school. And this can happen with your child as well. If they learn (or re-learn) the basics where they have gaps then they’ll have the foundation they need to do the harder Maths they’re getting stuck on.
Possible reasons for these gaps are
- Absences from school and not being able to catch up with the rest of the class.
- They don’t understand their teacher’s explanations. Sometimes this will result in the student guessing what to do and ending up with the incorrect answer. The error in their method isn’t found and they end up using the incorrect method which keeps them from making progress.
- Not doing enough or even any set homework at home. The importance of doing homework at home is explained HERE.
- Not checking their answers. They may be doing the work in what they think is the correct way, but they’re not checking their answers. They go into the test and end up failing it. But they still continue to not correct their work in subsequent topics.
- Another scenario is that they’re not checking their answers because they know they don’t know how to do the work and they don’t want to see the answer as that will dent their low confidence even more.
- Then there is the case when they are copying the answers because they don’t know how to do the work. When asked how they did them they may say they’ve forgotten how to do them.
- Relying on their calculator and losing touch with their basic Maths skills.
After trying to help my students who didn’t understand Maths when I was a school teacher, I have created a new process that is a lot easier for struggling students.
You will see a new attitude from Day 1. Then you can expect to see a confidence breakthrough at some point. For some students it’s within a few lessons. For others it can take longer.
Back to Basics fits with the aims of the systems being used in most schools. So there are no worries about a conflict there.
Proof of success
There are three key things to consider:
- Back to Basics is different to what you may have already tried and I hope my explanations for the causes of difficulty make sense to you.
- You can check the sort of testimonials I get.
- I even guarantee a clear confidence breakthrough for your child at some point.
What you can expect from Back to Basics
My mission is achieving a strong, confident foundation of basic Maths skills for every child.
The key elements are:
- Easy to understand teaching and short structured exercises to complete.
- Additional homework exercise after each lesson.
- Exercises increase in difficulty incrementally so your child can easily learn new skills.
Your child can overcome their struggle with Maths and it all starts with addressing the basics.
To Make An Appointment
To make an appointment or for more details, contact me on
0410 577 469
Or schedule a free 30min consultation via Skype. Click HERE to book a time for your consultation.
Maths Tutor Frankston
The Mathematics Workshop